Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Homemade Sloppy Joe

 When ever I can, I like to use my Crockpot. It's easy and convenient and saves me time in the Kitchen
 This recipe has been around for a long time and was given to me by my husbands mother. I changed some things in this recipe for a healthier version :)
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup celery; chopped
1/3 cup onions; chopped
3 medium tomatoes; blend in a blender or a can of tomato sauce (10 oz)
1 teaspoon sea salt; divided
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Brown ground turkey, onions and celery in a pot. Season while you brown with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, paprika and pepper until the meat is no longer pink. Drain
Add the tomato sauce and the 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and simmer for 1 hour.

 *for the crock pot version, after browning cook for 2 hours on high, then add the followed mixture and simmer for one more hour on medium or low.

Mix together:

1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon of flour
1 teaspoon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
Mix and add to sloppy Joe mixture and cook for another 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...