Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spelt Sour Dough Bread


 Just recently we confirmed what my husband suspected all along, he is allergic to wheat, dairy and yeast. We have been baking wheat bread for the last 12 years in our family, but thats about to change. :)
I had to re-educate myself, and learn something new - how to make a loaf of bread that A) has no gluten, B) has no yeast, and C) taste wonderful. With the help of Breadtopia  I started my own sour dough instead of using yeast and then baked this wonderful Spelt Sour Dough Bread. I didn't think that my first attempt would turn out a success, but it did and it was delicious.

 It takes a little time to make this bread, but if you mix your dough and let it sit over night you can bake it in the morning. It is just a routine I have to get into.

5 cups spelt flour (530g)
1 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 Tbs honey or 2 Tbs agave
1/4 cup sourdough starter
Here is the website so you can follow the video instructions to make this bread.
http://www.breadtopia.com/spelt-bread-recipe/
I changed a few things like the temperature and how often I stretched and folded.  I stretched and folded 3 times every 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 450 for 45 minutes. 
Comments from the first taster on the scene (my husband):
"Gabriele had to run out while the bread was still baking so she gave me instructions on what to do when the timer beeped.  She was still out when lunch time rolled around so I was faced with making myself a sandwich.  I stared at this strange looking loaf and decided to slice it open.  My daughter Melanie said to me, 'Dad, you don't have to eat if if you don't want to.'  But I said to her, Mommy went through a lot to make this bread, the least I can do is try it.  How surprised I was when I did.  It was awesome.  What I enjoyed was a very European tasting, extremely flavorful, sour-dough bread with a surprisingly fluffy texture.  It reminded me of the breads we used to get at the little corner bakery in Germany - only much better.  Hopefully, you will have as much success as Gabriele had making this bread.  Take note of this tip, we learned that's it's better to measure your ingredients by weight, rather than by volume.  This is more precise and you'll have better success.  At any rate, this is a huge win for a person that has been in denial for his wheat allergy for so many years!"

Late Night Boutique

2 comments:

  1. Very impressive! Congrats on such success so quickly. I've made rice/millet flour based things using baking powder/soda too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, is there any rising period involved when you bake bread with baking soda?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...